Sunday, April 12, 2009

Wings of Gold

May 2008
On May 30, I earned my Naval Flight Officer wings of gold. I was so excited to have my entire family, PaPa Horses, Grandma DeDe, and Callie make it down to Pensacola to celebrate this accomplishment! They are the best! My PaPa and Grandma both hadn't flown for quite a while, but both have been SO supportive, and I was so honored to have them stand up with me!


When everyone arrived, we took advantage of the beautiful Gulf weather and spent some time at the beach! All those Michiganders helped me realize how good I had it down there!!!
That night, we went out for an amazing crab leg dinner at...you guessed it!!! Peg Leg Pete's! Bob and Judy joined us along with Kevin Swift, (one of my best friends from flight school), and his family, and we had a great time sharing stories, laughs, and drinks! Even PaPa took a Washington Apple shot with his little flyer girl :)
The day of the ceremony, I took the whole family out for a tour of the squadron and base. Luckily for us, the Blue Angels were practicing and we all got to sit in awe of their show! I never once got tired of watching those pilots perform!
Our pinning of our wings event was held at the Naval Aviation Museum on base, and we had a sharp ceremony! My dad held the honor of pinning my wings on my chest, while my mom stood by my side! They have never faltered once in this crazy life I chose, and I can't thank them enough for being my strength.

The whole crew came up and stood while I was pinned and all walked down the line to shake hands with an Admiral, the VT-86 Commanding Officer, the VT-4 CO, and the Commodore. Bob and Judy also honored me with their presence in the crowd that day!
Kevin and his family

I also received the "Top Graduate" award from my grad class; it was a surprise to us all!

After the formal ceremony, we all head over to the base Officers' Club where there is drinks, food, and speeches made by the Commodore and all the Skippers. Then each of the wingees makes a toast, drinks their champagne and tries to hit a target with our glasses! It's a great time!
Skipper Glatt, his wife Lynn, and I. CDR Glatt was the CO of VT-4 and a huge inspiration to my naval career!
My AWESOME sisters!
Bob and Judy!
The day never ends!!! That night was our winging party at the Oar House! It is a great little seafood shack on the water with a sand court outside. The weather was great, so everyone hung out at the outdoor bar, and mingled in the sand! All of the wingees wore referee t-shirts, and donned whistles and yellow flags. Don't commit a party foul!
Our personal advisor, LT Janczak.
The next night, Bob and Judy had my entire family over for a cookout and a going away party. I was scheduled to leave for S.E.R.E. school two days later, so there wasn't a lot of time to spend together. We had a great time listening to all of Bob's dirty jokes, and enjoyed Judy's cooking! We also watched my centrifuge video (where I peed my pants), and everyone got a kick out of it! My family was amazed at the obvious physical distress we go through with Gs and I believe developed a better understanding of my job!
Saying goodbye is always tough, but nothing I've done so far is worth it without family. I'm so grateful for them for standing by me, picking me up when I fall, and always knowing when I need a kind word and a hug! I love them SO much, and Grandma...I say "hi" to Jesus for you every time I fly :)

No comments:

Post a Comment