Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Key West Det

January 2009
I finally reached the fighter phase of training in VFA-106, and was SO happy to go to KEY WEST in January! The fighter phase consists of air-to-air combat training, or dogfighting, and not too similar to the movie Top Gun! All of our ordnance on this det was simulated, however. The weather was so beautiful compared to VA Beach and definitely compared to Michigan in January! We worked really hard, flew a lot, and then partied quite a bit out on the main street, Duval St. It is ALWAYS packed downtown, no matter the season, and all the restaurant and bar owners know the Navy and we get some good deals! I had a great time, and again learned a ton!

These are our aggressor jets, the F-5, which is SO tiny compared to the F-18 and really hard to find in the big blue sky!
An F-18 Superhornet taxiing down to the runway!
Flying formation with my buddy "Danny" in the single-seat jet
Flying over the breath-taking Keys!
Behind the back picture of landing, looking between the vertical stabs
The infamous Duval St.
My fave guys out at Guy Harvey's restaurant!
Here's to a looooooooooong night!
Hall and I
Our XO (Executive Officer, or second in command at the squadron), Hidy-HO and I!

Out to eat at the Blue Lagoon Beautiful sunset at Mallory Square
3 sheets to the wind...literally!
Not sure if you can see, but one of the signs says "Holly, MI 1602 mi"...a LONG way from anywhere near home!
Key West...a place where chickens and goats roam free!
Out on a charter fishing trip! No one caught anything real great to eat, but one guy caught an octopus and I got to hold a live shark!
The artist who created the beautiful work of art, my wave! It's my first real collectible piece of art and I LOVE it!
Dave Wight and I and my waves

No comments:

Post a Comment